WANT TO LISTEN TO THE SHOW LIVE??
To listen to the show LIVE, click HERE
DID YOU MISS THE SHOW?
To download the archived recording, click HERE
CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE HOW TO LISTEN TO THE SHOW IN iTUNES!!
- Hosts: Ken McMurray, Joshua Hind
- Special Contributors: Amie Watson, Paul the Courier
- On-Air Production: Joshua Hind
7:05: Music: The Joe – “My Perpetuity”
- From the album: Float or Flail
7:10: Amie’s Food Report:
- Amie speaks with health-conscious Montrealer Lauren-Jane Heller about failing at new years resolutions, and Le Commensal restaurant
7:25: From “The Redeye Collective”: Defending the Canadian Wheat Board
- Stephen Harper’s efforts to eliminate the Canadian Wheat Board hit a roadblock December 7 when a Federal Court judge ruled that the government had to consult farmers before getting rid of the Wheat Board. Terry Boehm is president of the National Farmers Union. He explains why the Wheat Board is so important to Canadian farmers.
7:42: Municipal Headlines:
- PM chief wants a green economy to benefit Montreal:
- Philly company calculates how much carbon eliminated by BIXI use:
- More news about the municipal Auditor General:
- It’s skating season:
- It’s not municipal, but it’s warning to anyone forming a political party at any level:
8:18: The International: The World Outside Canada
- It’s been a troubled year for the alliance between the United States and Pakistan. In the most recent incident, NATO helicopter gunships killed 24 Pakistani border guards near the Afghan border. Irfan Husain is the author of Faultlines: Pakistan, Islam and the West. He’s also a regular columnist for the Pakistani daily newspaper Dawn.
8:40: Music: M83 – “Steve McQueen”
- From the album: Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
8:44: Action Items
- Electro-Motive Lockout
- Here are a few shots of King Stevie touring the plant. I wonder if, in the back of his mind, he’s thinking, “Yeah, you’ll all be out on your ass by the time I’m through.”?:
- Story from CTV about the PM’s silence on Electro-Motive:
- Link to video from Electro-Motive called “Investing in the Future” starring…ROBOTS. You don’t see one human being in the video. Not one!!
- Rio Tinto Alcan Lockout
- Workers aren’t being allowed to freely assemble and show their discontent with Rio Tinto Alcan’s business practices. A court order issued last week on behalf of RTA restricts the number of protesters to 20 and orders they stay 150m back from the property. Apparently, management didn’t want to have to confront workers on the way into the smelter.
- In the same way Electro-Motive and Navistar used strikes and lockouts to quietly move their operations elsewhere, RTA wants to use this action to break the union and replace them with contractors. Contractors are great, very few obligations for an employer.
- Fracking Earthquakes
- The Youngstown, OH area has seen 11 small quakes since last spring, and now a moratorium has been instated in the area to keep future fracking from occurring while seismologists reinvestigate the quakes.
- Postmedia goes nationwide with a story originating at the Gazette which discusses how “misconceptions” about Quebec’s energy surplus are behind opposition to shale gas fracking. Just a coincidence that this story came out on the same day as the earthquake story, I suppose.
- For more info on fracking in Quebec, I use and aggregator called “No Fracking Way Quebec”, the link to which can be found on our blog.