WANT TO LISTEN TO THE SHOW LIVE??
To listen to the show LIVE, click HERE
DID YOU MISS THE SHOW?
To download the archived recording, click HERE
LISTEN TO THE SHOW IN iTUNES!!
Hosts: Amie Watson, Craig Sauve, Joshua Hind, Ken McMurray
Special Contributors: Tom o
Technical Production: Amie Watson
Music from the show (in the order it was played)
- Baths – “Maximalist” (from the album “Cerulean”)
- Playing tonight at Il Motore with Braids
- Baths is LA-based beat-maker Will Wiesenfeld and song is from his latest and first album “Cerulean”
- kind of like Girl Talk in that it’s electronic music but he doesn’t just press “play”. He gets really into it and plays drum machines live and dances and gets the crowd going.
Amie’s Food (and Circus) Report
- This week Amie tells you about 1 reservation you need to make and 1 event you need to attend
- Preview of the Zawedeh brunch on Feb. 27th – $34 all-you-can-eat hummus, baba-ganouj, vine leaves, fattouche, tabouli, kibbe naya (ground beef with bulgour, onions, and mint), lamb and beef kafta, chicken shish taouk, katayef, and more. Part of Montreal Festival en Lumiere.
- Wine and Cheese at the Complexe Desjardins, Fri. 11:30am-7pm, Sat. 11:30am-5pm
- Amie’s cheese picks: F.X. Pichet and Au Gre des Champs
- La Chronique lunch recap
- Preview of Festival Mondial du Cirque du Nouveau Monde
Dispatches from Dakar – Patrick Bond on mobilizations against UN climate summit, Durban 2011
- In this segment of Dispatches from Dakar we hear from Patrick Bond of the Centre for Civil Society at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in Durban, South Africa. Bond speaks on the current mobilization in South Africa and globally against the upcoming UN climate summit to take place in Durban, South Africa between November 28th & December 9th. Activists are converging on the UN climate summit after the widely perceived failure of the COP 15 conference in Copenhagen, Denmark. to adequately address the roots of global climate crisis. In this interview Bond details the mobilization efforts in South Africa lead-by communities directly impacted by climate change both in Durban and globally.
Municipal Headlines with Craig Sauve and Ken McMurray
- Auditor General being spied on:
- Jacques Bergeron will present a report to city council on Monday:
- Opposition demands resignation of Pierre Reid:
- Quebec city MAMROT to investigate:
- Quebecor takes side of Tremblay. (no link will be provided, due to our ongoing boycott of Quebecor papers)
- Tremblay to seek firing of VG? (would require ⅔, opposition would have to support)
- Roquet tries to defend, Louise Harel disagrees:
- What the city accuses the Auditor-General of doing:
- Henry Aubin is out-of-sorts over this one: ‘There’s a cancer in city hall’:
- National Assembly’s AG comes to Montréal AG’s defense:
- Gérald Tremblay holds Press Conference. Passes buck to Quebec city:
- Use of Internal Lawyers saved city millions. (Duh! Another Distraction announcement by Union):
- Meadowbrook developpers get special treatment by McGill department:
- Groupe Pacifique pays for something resembling a sales meeting.
- No shame, McGill’s school of Architecture cheerleads the project.
- Well-orchestrated, architecture company, L’Oeuf and Groupe Pacific had reps in each workshop, the panellists were already pre-prepped with talking points.
- Meanwhile: MTL spends to upgrade local parks:
- Train de l’Ouest: 22 Million for an engineering study:
- CMM wants QC to raise gas taxes by 5 cents over ten years:
- Plateau saves famous fameux sign:
- Plateau borough forces owner to clean up act:
- Speaking of saving heritage sites, bye bye église Saint-Sauveur:
- Dentists for the poor?
- Montreal-Burlington rail-line in the works?:
- Interesting article on the movement of the well-to-do in MTL over the years:
- Local community activist and Hip-hop musician murdered in Burgundy:
- Westmount activist files complaint against Westmount’s handling of arena question
- Saving Trend house in Beaurepaire:
- Ridiculous story, but too much fun not to mention:
- Amir Khadir: New metro cars to be more pricey than thought:
- City hiding price of Roxboro land deal:
- Gazette’s secret society series:
- What of the new Champlain bridge?
In Studio Interview – Yves Elmit from Medical Air for Palestine
- Call for info: 514-843-7875
- M.A.P. is marketing four Palestinian products with all proceeds going to building parks for Palestinian children and helping farmers in Palestine to buy farming equipment
- The products being offered are Zeitouna Olive Oil, animal product-free Naplouse Soap, (both of which are certified fair trade), Za’atar, and Dates.
Your Weekend Action Items
- The Usage Based Billing Swindle and an Action Items Mea Culpa
- Original wording: A licensee shall not broadcast any false or misleading news
- New wording: any news that the licensee knows is false or misleading and that endangers or is likely to endanger the lives, health or safety of the public
- The CRTC Notice: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-931.htm
- The petition – 70,000+ signatures: http://www.avaaz.org/en/canada_fair_and_balanced/?fpla
- The original regulations: http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-86-982/latest/sor-86-982.html
- The formal complaint from Avaaz: http://www.scribd.com/doc/48882523/Avaaz-Re-BNC-2011-14
- The Ernst Zundel case on which the CRTC’s case is based:
- Oh, and the Conservatives have installed another puppet on the CRTC:
- How indie is indie enough?:
- A something for all the bloggers out there to consider:
- A boozie sidebar:
- Festival en Lumiere – ongoing
- Baths at Il Motore – Friday night
- Confabulation presents “the shortest story” – Saturday, 9 PM. Mainline Theatre: 3997, St. Laurent.
- The Return of Thump: THUMP is back in action as a new monthly Saturday night dance-a-thon. Saturday 10PM. CFC, 6388 St-Hubert, Montreal
- La Frigorifete du Plateau -a winterfest organized by the Plateau Borough. http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=7297%2C75318432&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&id=1641&ret=%2Fpls%2Fportal%2Furl%2Fpage%2Farrond_pmr_fr%2Frep_annonces%2Frep_actualites%2Fcoll_actualites
- Sexy Dirty Bloody Scary: Mainline Theatre, 3997 St-Laurent. Running till March 5th.
- Montreal BASS Alliance. Tonight, 10 PM. DUBMA$HINE (underground loft, capacity 650) 3810 St-Patrick (Metro Charlevoix/Place St-Henri). 10 PM tonight.
- Laughter session put on by MTL Laughter League: 5165 Queen Mary Road #511. Saturday, 2PM.
- “Aladdin” -Put on by the left of centre theatre company: Lots of fun for anybody. Lodge Room @ Victoria Hall
4626 Sherbrooke West Street, Westmount
Saturday February 19th @ 2:00 pm
Sunday February 20th @ 2:00 pm
St-George Anglican Church
1101 Stanley Street (Across from the Bell Centre)
Saturday February 26th @ 2:30 pm
Sunday February 27th @2:30 pm
Saturday March 5th @ 2:30 pm and 7:00 pm
Sunday March 6th @ 2:30 pm
Bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-523-2716
Seniors/ Students: 10$