Music: The XX – “VCR” 3:00-Playing Friday at Place-des-Arts 175 Ste-Catherine West
Food and Music POP Montreal Itinerary: Gramercy Riffs “Freezedown”, Ruby Coast “Creep Me Out” 2:00, and Random Recipe “Shipwreck” 2:31)
Les Trois Petits Bouchons, restaurant Zero08, Le Sainte-Elisabeth.
Dee’s book review
* Construction of 2-22 Ste. Catherine’s project going forward… http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Montreal/2010/09/27/006-reprise-travaux-2-22.shtml
* …Despite the fact that many other municipal projects are racing against the clock: http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/quebeccanada/archives/2010/09/20100928-190146.html
* Tough week for Gérald Tremblay as his chief of staff, ex-PQ cabinet minister, Diane Lemieux resigns: http://ruefrontenac.com/nouvelles-generales/politiquemunicipale/28200-diane-lemieux-demission-tremblay-montreal
* Independent candidate wins Sainte-Geneviève byelection. This is a rebuke to the Bélanger borough administration (Union Montreal).
* SPVM in Montréal-Nord, simply racist: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/regional/montreal/201009/29/01-4327587-les-policiers-font-preuve-de-racisme-pur-et-simple.php
* Sécur-Action debacle:
o Contract with SPVM will not be renewed: http://ruefrontenac.com/nouvelles-generales/politiquemunicipale/27969-secur-action-montreal-spvm
o SPVM to secure its own buildings (you’d think this was a no-brainer): http://ruefrontenac.com/nouvelles-generales/politiquemunicipale/28047-secur-action-spvm
o Sécur-Action has the nerve to sue the SPVM: http://ruefrontenac.com/nouvelles-generales/politiquemunicipale/28071-secur-action-poursuivre
* Buy your Opus cards, major work ahead on Parc Av.: http://ruefrontenac.com/nouvelles-generales/politiquemunicipale/28222-chantier-avenue-du-parc-
* STM delays call for tenders on metro cars (again!): http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/delays+call+tenders+m%C3%A9tro+cars/3603109/story.html
* Très-Saint-Nom-de-Jésus to close, along with Casavant Organ: http://www.ledevoir.com/culture/actualites-culturelles/297170/l-archeveche-perd-foi-en-l-eglise-du-tres-saint-nom-de-jesus
* Another Rizzuto clan mafioso murdered: http://ruefrontenac.com/nouvelles-generales/faitsdivers/28262-meurtre-a-laval
* Diesel leak in St. Lawrence: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/09/29/montreal-oil-spill.html
o also: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Plenty+questions+surround+spill+Lawrence+River+near+Montreal+East/3593616/story.html
o and: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Clean+Montreal+spill+site+continues/3603299/story.html
8:00: Democracy Now
8:13: Roving reporter Mike Werbowski (via telephone): Worker unrest in EU; new leadership in N Korea and China rising.
8:25: Music: Paper Lions “Lost The War”
8:43: Music: The Hook Up -‘Driftwood’ (4:27) local MTL group, bringin’ a 60-70s rock sound back! From their self-titled debut EP.
8:49: Tom’s Bike Traffic report
8:53: Community Listings:
Saturday, October 2 at 8:00pm At Burritoville (2nd Floor), 2055 Bishop Street
Fundraiser for the 2010 Quebec BDS Conference, the movement for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions against Israeli apartheid.
Saturday October 2nd, come and celebrate a fresh semester of Solidarity for Palestine at the one and only [pause for emphasis] BURRITOVILLE. Alcoholic beverages at reasonable prices, burritos, tacos, chili, natchos, the sweetest potatoes and more!
There will be speakers presenting more details on the BDS conference. This is a great chance to get involved/informed/to let loose.
Featuring live music from Rubyblue : http://www.myspace.com/areyoubewhyblue
DJ Moody Jones. http://www.everybodyknows.ca
See you there!
***MAINLINE THEATRE’S 5TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY EXTRAVAGANZA!!!
They said it couldn’t be done… They said It shouldn’t be done… They said it wouldn’t be done, but we did it anyway. Five years ago, MainLine Theatre threw open its doors and gave the Montreal independent theatre community a new home on The Main.
Montreal’s Darlings of the Improv world UNCALLED FOR host an unforgettable evening of comedy, cleavage and combat.
…First, Uncalled For bring you scenes and sketches retracing the often hazy and occasionally repressed memories of yesteryear.
Meanwhile! SketchKombat. Montreal’s only stage combat/ sketch comedy team, assault the stage with their comically violent re-imaginings of MainLine’s publicly-acclaimed (and critically-despised) productions. Marvel at Vampire Lesbians, Nazi Ninjas & Johnny Canuck vs. Hitler! Discover Hedda Gabler’s unknown alternate ending and never-before-seen deleted scenes from this year’s smash hit The Mid-life Crisis of Dionysus.
Traditionally, for the 5th anniversary one gives the gift of wood. But since we have always found it is better to give then to receive, the show will also feature the tittilating temptresses from Team Burlesque.
After the show, stick around and have a drink or five with us, and kick off Season 6 with a night you’ll never remember!
SATURDAY OCTOBER 2nd
3997 Boul. St Laurent
9pm • 15$
514 849 3378
***ALSO: Last 5 shows of ‘People Power!’
TEESRI DUNIYA THEATRE OPENS ITS 30th SEASON of
POWERFUL – PROVOCATIVE – PERSONAL
original Canadian plays with PEOPLE POWER
Set against the backdrop of the 1986 Philippine People Power Revolution, PEOPLE POWER is a powerful portrayal of the peaceful revolution that ultimately toppled the violent and corrupt Marcos dictatorship. A collective creation by the Carlos Bulosan Theatre Collective, PEOPLE POWER uses movement, music, percus…sion and poetry to tell this dynamic and inspirational story. From the bullet that assassinated opposition leader Ninoy Aquino, to the click of a journalist’s camera, performers Leon Aureus, Aura Carcueva, Nicco Lorenzo Garcia, Christine Mangosing, and Nadine Villasin, all Filipino Canadians, capture a nation in transition and the triumph of the Filipino spirit.
Thursday, September 16 at 8:30pm – October 2 at 8:30pm
Location Monument National, Studio Hydro-Québec, 1182, boul. Saint-Laurent, Montréal (Québec) H2X 2S5